To make Winamp the default player for one or more supported file formats under Windows XP, Vista or 7:
- Open the Options menu and click Preferences (Ctrl+P). Winamp displays the Preferences dialog.
- Within the General Preferences section of Preferences, click File Types. You may have to double-click General Preferences if you don't see File Types listed.
- Select the file types you want to be associated with Winamp. You can also click All to use Winamp as the default player for all supported file types.
- To make sure that Winamp keeps the file associations you assign, select Restore file associations at Winamp start-up. Whenever you start Winamp, the selections you've made in the File Types preferences will be checked and reassigned.
- Select Launch Winamp for audio CDs to use Winamp as the default CD player for your PC. When you insert CDs into the CD-ROM drive, Winamp will launch and play the CD.
- Close the Preferences dialog
- Say "Yes" to any UAC prompt from Windows for changes to be applied (Windows Vista/7)
To remove associations, deselect the relevant file types from the list.
To make Winamp the default player for one or more supported file formats under Windows 8:
- Go to: Windows Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program
- Select the relevant file type, eg. .mp3
- Click the Change Program button
- Select Winamp from the list
To remove associations, select a different program from the list.